It is the mission of the NIU Alumni Association to build lifelong relationships with NIU alumni and friends by communicating the message of excellence and creating opportunities to connect and interact with the university community.
The Alumni Association is a supporting organization of Northern Illinois University focused on building lifelong relationships with NIU alumni, prospective students, corporate partners, and friends. The Alumni Association offers programs, hosts special events, and partners with various departments/organizations in support of NIU. All graduates of Northern are “members” of the Alumni Association and are entitled to its benefits and programs.
The Alumni Association serves close to 160,000 NIU alumni in Illinois and 244,000 alumni worldwide. The Alumni Association and alumni relations are part of the Division of University Advancement.This is accomplished by
- Offering programs and services that foster pride in the university, support its goals, and meet alumni needs
- Developing a pool of committed alumni volunteers willing to involve themselves in the Alumni Association and university activities
- Developing alumni clubs and other constituency groups that further alumni affiliation with the university
- Representing alumni interests on university policy-making committees
- Sponsoring programs for students designed to develop university loyalty and to encourage lifelong relationships with the university as active alumni
- Developing and sponsoring programs that foster financial support for the university